ProductCenter to JD Edwards MRP Integration Provides Seamless Sharing of BOMs; Automated ECN Approvals Slashes Process Time from 45 to 5 Days
This Essig PLM customer is an industry leader in the railroad transit industry, specializing in signaling and communications. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for freight and passenger railroad applications that includes: wayside and car-carried signaling and communications components; rail-highway grade crossing components; centralized dispatch centers; service and training; as well as engineering, project management and integration services to deliver solutions tailored to specific customer requirements
This very well known company was using a JD Edwards manufacturing resource planning (MRP) solution but had experienced a number of limitations with it, including lack of workflow capability, inability to integrate with their engineering CAD software, no web interface, and the inability for engineering bills of material (BOM) to interact with manufacturing BOMs maintained in JD Edwards. Already using Essig PLM's ProductCenter PLM solution in their engineering team, the company began to explore ProductCenter's interoperability to integrate with other enterprise systems throughout the company and to help automate other product lifecycle processes to shorten development cycle times and streamline release to manufacturing.
ProductCenter PLM Consulting Solution:
As part of Essig PLM's Professional Services involvement, ProductCenter was made the central driving force for managing product lifecycle information and processes, and the key for integrating the company's PLM and MRP systems. The Essig PLM Professional Services team accomplished these key objectives, reducing ECO turnaround process from 45 days to a mere 5 days, automating the seamless transfer of engineering BOMs to their MRP, and providing centralized product data access across the company:
- Completed a JD Edwards to ProductCenter data migration and integration
- Implemented engineering BOM export/import capabilities that enabled the two-way exchange of BOM data between ProductCenter and the company's JD Edwards system
- Automated engineering change orders through use of ProductCenter® PLM Workflow
- Developed a simple-to-use Web based ProductCenter Search/View application, which enabled authorized individuals to very quickly locate and research product information
Through the results of the efforts of Essig PLM's Professional Services, this company was able to achieve:
- Automation of ECO approval process that resulted in a reduction in the average ECO turnaround time from 45 days to 5 days.
- Easy hand-off of engineering BOMs to manufacturing; no more re-keying errors between systems
- Earlier exposure to BOMs by all departments for better planning and improved coordination
- Saves time searching for data and ensures everyone works and collaborates with current information